The Rinnegan (輪廻眼, Literally meaning: Saṃsāra Eye) is reputed as the most exalted eyes amongst the Three Great Dōjutsu (三大瞳術,San Daidōjutsu, Literally meaning: Three Great Eye Techniques), the others being the Byakugan and the Sharingan. Rinnegan wielders are said to be sent down from the heavens to become either a "God of Creation" who will calm the world's disorder or a "Destroyer" who will reduce everything to nothingness. Rinnegan is characterized by light purple or red sclerae and irides with a ripple-pattern that spreads over the eyeball and in some cases tomoe.
|Literal English||Saṃsāra Eye|
|Other||Eye of the Six Paths (六道の眼, Rikudō no Me)|
|Manga||Volume #27, Chapter #238|
|Anime||Naruto Episode #135|
|Novel||Boruto: Naruto the Movie|
|Movie||Naruto the Movie: Blood Prison|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja 5|
|OVA||Naruto x UT|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Novel, Game, Movie|
|Classification||Kekkei Genkai, Dōjutsu|
The Rinnegan was first manifested by Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki, inherited as a kekkei mōra[Notes 1] from his mother's Rinne Sharingan. With his Rinnegan he saved the world from the Ten-Tails and created ninshū, the precursor of modern ninjutsu. For his contributions to the world, Hagoromo became revered as the "Sage of Six Paths" and rose to mythological status through the centuries, with his Rinnegan coming to be deemed by many a legend or a mutation.
The Rinnegan can be awakened by combining the chakra of Hagoromo's sons, Indra and Asura, in order to create Hagoromo's chakra. Black Zetsu spent centuries attempting to do so, trying to manipulate the reincarnations of Indra and Asura to awaken the Rinnegan. It was not until the time of Madara Uchiha - Indra's reincarnation - that Black Zetsu was successful when Madara infused himself with the DNA of Hashirama Senju - Asura's reincarnation. However, Madara's Sharingan did not become Rinnegan until decades later, at the end of his natural lifespan; this also seemingly restored the eyesight lost from his use of Izanagi. When Kabuto Yakushi reincarnated Madara, he operated under a similar hypothesis that Sharingan can be evolved into Rinnegan through combination with Hashirama's DNA. To that end, he successfully recreated the Rinnegan in Madara's reincarnated body, though these fake eyes didn't have full access to the original's abilities.
Sasuke Uchiha's left Sharingan became a Rinnegan when Hagoromo's spirit gave half of his chakra to Sasuke. His Rinnegan has six tomoe split between its first two ripples. The tomoe will disappear if Sasuke overuses his Rinnegan, preventing him from using its full power until it has fully recharged, something that takes a very long time. Sasuke is still able to use the powers of his Mangekyō Sharingan with his Rinnegan, but apparently, cannot use them or even form the Mangekyō in his other eye when it's recharging.
The Rinnegan grants the wielder a wide range of abilities without any known chakra requirements to keep the eyes active. Certain abilities are only available to the original owner of the Rinnegan, but the possession of even a single transplanted Rinnegan can grant overwhelming power. Rinnegan is able to see chakra, as well as its flow within the body and the activated tenketsu of the Eight Gates, but cannot see through obstructions such as smoke bombs. One who possesses the Rinnegan can master any jutsu as well as all five nature transformations with ease. Rinnegan users are also able to create black receivers to which they can transmit their chakra, fully decipher Hagoromo's stone tablet, and counter the effects of the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
Possessing the Rinnegan grants the user a family of abilities collectively known as the Six Paths Techniques: the gravitational powers of the Deva Path;; the ability to mechanise one's body with the Asura Path; control over others' souls with the Human Path;; the menagerie of summons available to the Animal Path; the limitless absorptive potential of the Preta Path;; and access to the King of Hell through theNaraka Path. These abilities can be distributed to the Six Paths of Pain — six bodies embedded with black receivers, which the user can control remotely. A seventh ability, the Outer Path, is said to allow the user to preside over life and death, granting the ability to revive the dead, as well as summon and control the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, and manifest chakra chains to bind others. The dōjutsu also grants the user a shared field of vision with the Six Paths of Pain, the King of Hell, and the Animal Path's summons, all of which possess copies of the Rinnegan.
Certain Rinnegan abilities have only been demonstrated by single users: Madara can create corporeal shadows in the invisible world of Limbo, which is only visible to the Rinnegan; Sasuke's Rinnegan allows him to shift spaces within a certain range of himself, and create a portal to other dimensions; Momoshiki is able to absorb any ninjutsu with his right Rinnegan and subsequently release it from his left, and use a space–time ninjutsu to travel to and from his own dimension.
- Animal Path in close range and summoning a creature on the opponents body to cause them great pain and drop them at close range. Using their body as means to place the summoning seal, and use the creatures for a steady flow of strikes. Using the individual abilities of the summoned animals to allow him to attack from multiple fronts and still have the shared linked vision of the Rinnegan's powers. He can benefit from the unique abilities of each animal as well as their abilities to overwhelm the opponent and beat them with a numerical advantage.
- Giant Drill-Beaked Bird
- Giant Multi-Headed Dog
- Giant Snake-Tailed Chameleon
- Giant Panda
- Giant Ox
- Giant Rhino
- Giant Crustacean
- Giant Centipede
- Six Paths of Pain
- Giant Spiked Shelled Beetle
- Giant StarFish Nosed Mole
- Deva Path Using Shinra Tensei empowered punches and kicks to add additional force to the blows as well as chain attacks and Banshō Ten'in to attract the opponent back for perhaps another chain of attacks or set up for differing techniques. With the repelling aspect, he can add additional blunt trauma and concussive forces to an opponents collateral damage, getting optimal use out of the force he can exert, this does not absolve the intervals that are associated with the jutsu, whether the standard 5 seconds or more depending on the exertion of the techniques. The blast can be used to not only empower the strikes at the point of impact but also be used as a piston to change the speed and velocity of the attacking limb, increasing its impact suddenly. When Combined with the Kapu Kuialua it can be used with devastating results
- Human Path/Naraka Path grabs which due to the nature of their abilities can be fatal if a person is grabbed or ensnared for either path to begin its special function. The Human Path, for the most part, is usually a death move if Kaido is extracting the soul fulfilling his Hokage obligations, making any use of this technique a fatality move. Using the Naraka path when the target is caught in the Kaido's the target is weakened and can't resist or fight back. It can be as dangerous as the Human Path the probability of survival can increase or decrease depending on if the truth is told of what Kaido is seeking. Failure to answer or refusal will also result in the death of the target.
- Preta Path using grapple moves and trapping your prey in a myriad of hold you could drain chakra from their body since these paths allow you to drain chakra via physical contact, the constant chakra drain could weaken and slow his opponent greatly and limit their list of jutsu options, leaving them on the brink of death by chakra drain alone. Kaido has learned how to use the Preta Paths abilities as a long distance as well. Using his chakra rods if they manage to impale a target Kaido can use a long range drain on a person via the rod that is disrupting their chakra and use that as a connection back to him to absorb that chakra. This move has proven to be extremely useful fighting nearly all close range fighters, and even some jinchuriki, however, vs Sages and Kaido's lack of experience in handling Senjutsu it can be countered. This move can be employed at any time during physical contact since the path has the ability to absorb chakra right from the body as well. Causing each blow to weaken his opponents over time.
A recently found Rinnegan. It is completely similar to the Purple, except it does not grant the user all of the Rinnegan abilities, just the basic (look at Six Paths Technique) on a weaker scale. The user's genjutsu are faster and more dangerous than the other Rinnegan colors aswell. Sasuke, Ten-Tails, and Momoshiki are the only users.
The rarest color you would ever see. Yellow is noted as being the strongest Rinnegan (proven by the fourth databook version of Momoshiki) and is very hard to be dealt with. Unlike the other colors, the Yellow is capable of unlocking all abilities on a enhanced level. It basically makes the user a superhuman. Raikou is the only Yellow Rinnegan user.
Also a extremely rare color, Blue is noted as mysterious and can cause intensive rage and pain to the user. Whenever they bleed, they bleed blue blood and that can easily alarm the opponent and let them know that the user is willing to destroy anything and anyone to get to their target and murder there. There is no known user, though Kaguya and Hagoromo were on the topic for having it.
The basic and most seen Rinnegan. It is completely similar to the Yellow. It allows the user to unlock all the basics and some of the other Rinnegan-type abilities and moves. It allows the user full control of the Six Paths of Pain and the Six Paths Technique and is the main Rinnegan used to control Ten-Tails. Hagoromo, Kaguya, Nagato, and Madara are the only users of the Purple Rinnegan. Sasuke had purple for a small time before it changed to Red and Momoshiki's started out as Purple, then changed to Red completely.